Monday, October 14, 2013

Preparation for Oct 22 Chapel

Hi everyone,
For the upcoming chapel we're leading, I'm thinking we'll just do the 4 songs:
- Sing, Sing, Sing
- Beautiful One
- Freedom Reigns in This Place
- How Great is Our God

When I think about our upcoming practice this week and the chapel next week, one word comes to my mind:  Inhibition.   By definition, inhibition means: a nervous feeling that prevents you from expressing your thoughts, emotions, or desires   

Certainly we all have things that inhibit us at different times.  I believe that God wants us to worship him with everything we have.  All of our hearts, all of our minds, and all of our voices and musical talent.  I also believe that it all becomes more fun, and more real when we let go of those things that hold us back (inhibitions) - whatever they are...

-  'People I know are watching!  What will they think of me if I do that!?!'  :-)
Here's a secret - it really doesn't matter what they think of you.  If you let it matter, that's another story

-  'How will we sound/do compared to that other band?'
Comparison can be healthy to a point.  However, its easily becomes an unhealthy, unproductive habit.

-  'What if I forget my part or mess up?'
That's why we have a team.  We'll cover for each other.  If you aren't sure what's next, take a break and listen.  It will come to you, then just join back in.  I did a special in church this weekend in both services we have on Sunday.  I messed up both times, but didn't make people aware of it, and we were able to laugh about it later.

-  'You asked me to play/sing louder.  I'm afraid someone will hear me'  :-)
I might be being a bit facetious with this one.  :-)  You are on the team to make yourself heard.  I'm not sure the best way to communicate this....  You need to own you part.  Every note you sing, every note/beat you play - make it count as if it had a life.  Let it sing out!  Resound!  Fill it with you!  You are there to be heard!  :-)  I hope that makes sense.

Finally, one of the best ways to get rid of inhibitions is to have fun.  Even be a bit foolish.  I'll see what I can do.  Kornelia says I need to smile more with you all, and I know I do and I'll try.  I know we're all still getting to know one another a bit.  90 minutes a week isn't a lot of time for me to get to know each of you.  Perhaps we should have you all over to our house one Sunday afternoon and we can play games together and relax for a bit - that might help.  I'll let you know...

Now really finally....  Since we're only doing 4 songs this week, I want to do something a bit fun with How Great is Our God.  We'll still play it at the end.  But we'll also start with it (I think)  Take a look at the video below - in particular watch from 4:20 and see the different arrangement of the chorus.  I'd like to try that at the beginning of chapel with everyone without the band.  We'll see how it goes.  Let me know what you think.....


No comments:

Post a Comment